Welcome to NAHAD
The latest updates from NAHAD’s Hose Safety Institute Standards Committee and Advisory Council – Empowering Your Business through Hose Assembly Safety
The Institute’s Standards Committee of NAHAD members and the Institute Advisory Council of key end-users have completed substantial work over the past several months. In addition to updating the Institute Handbook© and five online Hose Assembly Fabrication Guides©, the volunteers and staff have developed new resources for Institute members to leverage both their marketing efforts and employee development initiatives. These include:
- The Hose Safety Institute Handbook©, Version 1.2
- The five updated Hose Assembly Fabrication Guides©
- All Handbook© and Fabrication Guide© exams have been updated to reflect the document changes.
- A new Guide to Hose Assembly Testing is now available.
- The online Find an Institute Member search tool will now display only the distributor locations which have fully met the Institute Membership requirements, including completion of Handbook© and Fabrication Guide© exams for each hose group in which they do business.
- Upon request, the Institute will provide updated Institute Membership Certificates, recognizing the Institute Membership for the specific company location and name.
This week's Economic Report and the latest Global Manufacturing Update, provided by the National Association of Manufacturers are available below:
The National Association of Manufacturers reports that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit once again ruled in favor of their challenge to the SEC's conflict mineral disclosure requirement relating to certain products from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and surrounding countries. The compelled disclosure requirement that products are "DRC conflict free" or not conflict free violates the First Amendment's guarantee against government compelled speech.
In a statement released today, the NAM said, “We believe it is unreasonable to require companies to continue to spend substantial resources implementing the SEC’s rule when its central feature has been invalidated on constitutional grounds. Therefore, we believe the SEC and Congress should reexamine this approach of the Dodd-Frank Act and rule in light of the court’s decision.”
NAHAD has joined the Energy Equipment and Infrastructure Alliance (EEIA). EEIA is a broad coalition of associations and companies that represents the energy supply chain in advocating for laws and regulations that encourage increased production of crude oil and natural gas from shale. Shale energy production, together with all of the midstream and downstream operations that are driven by it, have become a major market for many NAHAD members.
The shale energy supply chain is made up of sixty different industries, including over 120,000 companies, that together account for over $170 billion of annual sales, and have over 600,000 people employed to serve energy-related customers. Bringing that huge economic force together as a unified political voice has proven effective in moving pro-development energy policy to the front burner in Washington. EEIA’s power in energy debates stems from the fact that the supply chain operates in all fifty states, and not just in the energy producing areas. This helps politicians from non-producing areas of the country understand that supporting energy production helps the economies and workers of their own districts.
Alliance Partners of Industrial Careers Pathway® (ICP) met recently in Denver, Colo., to plan for the future and talk with students from the University of Colorado Denver Business School about the incredibly rewarding careers in industrial distribution. Presenting to the students were:
- Terry Knight, retired, SKF USA Inc., PTDA Foundation
- Curtis Sprague, Branham Corporation-Mt. Empire Rubber Co., NAHAD—The Association for Hose & Accessories Distribution
- Bill Squires, SMC Electric, National Association of Electrical Distributors Education & Research Foundation
- Tribby Warfield, Kaman Industrial Technologies Corporation, PTDA Foundation
- Jay Wilson, Plumbing Distributors, Inc., American Supply Association.
Together, these five industry-leading executives talked about their careers and success in the distribution sector and encouraged about 30 students to seek careers in the field. Students asked provocative questions about energy efficiency, bottom line profit management, flexibility of movement within the industry and variety of job opportunities. The presenters, along with other Alliance Partner representatives, were in Denver for the ICP Steering Committee meeting where they discussed ICP’s progress in meeting its goal of creating awareness of industrial distribution among 16–24 year olds.
NAHAD’s Education Committee is pleased to offer the new Employee Development Roadmap to assist members with supporting the professional development of their most valuable asset - their employees.
Proper onboarding and training of new employees and the ongoing education of current employees is critical to their success, and that of your business. It’s no secret that the cost of finding new hires is an expensive and time-consuming chore; keeping qualified and enthusiastic employees is so much better for your company and so much more rewarding for the individuals who keep your business running.
This Roadmap provides several important purposes:
- Provide you with important and timely Human Resource updates, policies and templates, as provided by Executive Consultant, Nancye Combs and other HR and legal experts;
- Identify the key positions within the typical NAHAD distribution company, by title, with sample Job Descriptions for each, and;
- Connect you with various educational courses, training resources and professional development opportunities as provided by NAHAD and its partner organizations.
Please note that NAHAD’s University of Innovative Distribution, which has served the industry since 1994 with exceptional education courses, is a key component of the Roadmap. The courses noted herein were offered at the record-breaking UID program held on March 8-11, 2015, attended by 42 NAHAD members. Mark your calendar now for the 2016 UID, scheduled for March 6 - 9 in Indianapolis, IN. Full course descriptions will be posted in the Roadmap in October.
April 23 - 27, 2015 - Loews Miami Beach Hotel
NAHAD's 31st Annual Convention set a new record, with 1,100 attendees from around the world enjoying an exciting program of business presentations, workshops, face-to-face business networking, the annual Showcase of Hose Solutions exhibition program, the annual George Carver Award and exciting social events, all designed to build stronger trading partner relationships and deliver new product introductions and hose solutions.
The 2015 Convention in exciting Miami Beach provided a tremendous opportunity to connect with industry leaders, business partners and friends.
Mark your calendar for NAHAD's 32nd Annual Convention, scheduled for April 30 - May 4 at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, CO. Details available soon.
NAHAD 2015 Attendee Lists
Today's Industry News
Powered by: Modern Distribution Management, Industrial Supply, H&P, Rubber News, NAW SmartBrief
November 17-19, 2015
April 30 - May 4, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO